Home / Home / Brief History /

Brief History

The Cistercian Abbey of Stanlow, in Cheshire, moved to Whalley in 1296. The Church was built between 1330 and 1380, but the Abbot's lodging and Infirmary were not completed until c. 1440

After the dissolution of the Monastery in 1537, the property passed into private hands, and Ralph Assheton adapted it to make an Elizabethan Manor House. It remained a private residence until 1923, when the Church of England acquired possession

The Retreat House and Conference Centre, together with the Abbey ruins, are now owned by the Diocese of Blackburn who undertook extensive internal modernisation of the house in 2005. Although not usually open to casual visitors, there are a number of days during the year when the house is open for viewing. A private viewing may be arranged by contacting the office. The grounds are open to the public most days of the year


What's on

Evening for Lent
29 March 2017

Spirituality Day
30 March 2017

Evening for Lent
5 April 2017

Who would be a leader?
27 April 2017

Reformation 500
25 May 2017

Pray as you can retreat
6 June 2017

The Spiritual Life of a Priest
10 July 2017

Whalley Abbey Volunteers Day
27 July 2017

TBC Retreat
11 September 2017